Sunday, February 28, 2016

February 23, 2016 Report

Day two of John fly fishing with me and today reminded me not to complain as I launched my skiff in steady 20 plus MPH winds into a frothy and rough Biscayne Bay. Since I had an afternoon trip I decided to launch from Coconut Grove and make a long run down to South Biscayne Bay to fish the creeks for snook and bonefish. The run down was sloppy but we made it into my favorite creeks. Fishing the leeward side of keys John caught a couple of barracudas on fly but the snook were MIA with the exception of the occasional pop as they fed deep into the mangroves, the water level being higher than expected courtesy of the hard SE wind that pounded the shoreline all night. (It wasn't supposed to be this windy!) Another creek had a 30" snook sitting on a mud flat and when John was about to make a cast to the perfectly presented snook, two pelicans flew low and over the snook and spooked it. URGH! We ended the day catching a few ladyfish and being visited by a manatee curious to our activity with her two calfs resting close to the mangrove shoreline. I cancelled my afternoon trip because of the weather.
Capt. Mo Estevez www.MiamiBoneFishing.com 786-853-1409 Follow me on Instagram @MiamiBoneFishing

No comments:

Post a Comment