Monday, December 29, 2014

December 29, 2014 Report (Amazing Incident!)

Little did Marc from England nor I know what would unfold before our eyes towards the end of our trip today. The events that unfolded made the previous 7 hours of our trip a blur providing further proof that in the Magic City, anything can happen. Staking out on a flat in 3' of water we set up for some shark fishing to wrap up our day and waited for sharks to make their presence known while Marc and I sat back and talked. About 30 minutes later the right rod doubles over and the reel starts to scream as 6' of angry shark raced across the flat at warp speed leaving a trail of mud and foam. Several head shakes later the braid breaks and we lose the shark we both wanted to land. I deployed another bait right away and within 2 minutes the rod goes off and another shark heads straightaway from the boat at our twelve o'clock as the drag screamed. I could tell it was a smaller shark until in typical lemon shark fashion I see thrashing, water spraying everywhere and mud flying as a BIG shark struggled against the line and revealed its dorsal and tail fins with a solid 4' between the two. That would put this shark at around 8'! Moments later the shark continues to fight but once again, like a smaller shark. Minutes later a 4' lemon shark comes to the boat with the back 3rd shredded and bloodied. That's when I realized what had just transpired, an estimated 8' shark tried to eat the 4' shark Marc had hooked and was fighting! The realization was absolutely amazing and like nothing I have experienced before. We released the small shark as quickly as we could after a few pictures and hope it survives the injuries. The absolutely unpredictable nature of working as a full time guide is one of the things I love about my job and today was further confirmation. All I can say is WOW!
Capt. Mo Estevez www.MiamiBoneFishing.com 786-853-1409

No comments:

Post a Comment